The Last Straw, for the 732nd time

I can say, with authority and confidence, that these guys suck at what they do. Not only do they release extremely buggy software with security holes galore, but then to put the cherry on top, they don’t even know when they’re patching it, and release patches accidentally.

Great move guys. You’re making new inroads in the area of sucking. You’re suckovating.

1. iComment
    Posted December 12, 2003 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Hey Josh –

Just thought you would want to know that I am posting this comment from an iBook in the Apple Store.

2. Posted December 12, 2003 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

This news piece is pretty caustic, but apparently Macs aren’t exactly perfect. And yes, I do realize the irony that I’m posting this comment from the Southdale Apple Store.

3. Posted December 12, 2003 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

That article is full of it.

4. Posted December 12, 2003 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Shoot… I should’ve told them to get on iChat… 🙂 They have iSights there!

5. kevin
    Posted December 12, 2003 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Well let me go find a snazzier computer with an iSite. I’m not sure I’ll know how to find you though.

6. Posted December 12, 2003 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

look for [removed]. That’s my iChat screen name.

7. Posted December 13, 2003 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Well, I’m a big apple fan too but they have their shortcomings. While a hundred users might not do much, apple has had a rash of hardware issues. There were noisy power supplies, ibook video cards going busted as mentioned in the law suit and white spots on the new powerbooks. I still say that apple’s hardware is the best out there, but it’s been better. Software wise, no contest the Mac will roll a wintel any day, but everyone could stand to improve. Even emachines are getting their act in gear. Good for them. Oh, and since we’re talking Apple stores, “Go MOA”. That’s all I got.
    JoeBuck

8. Posted December 13, 2003 at 7:33 am | Permalink

The G4 iBooks seem to have trackpad issues too.

9. Posted December 13, 2003 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I’ll be the first to admit that Apple isn’t perfect. That whole video card snafu where there was an argument about what it means to “support” OS X on a certain hardware config was just dumb, and Apple lost that suit, and I think what happened was good.

Really, what I’m claiming here is more along the lines of what Joe said. Sometimes Apple sucks it up here and there, but we’re still way, way better than pretty much everyone else overall. Being at the top of the pile doesn’t mean you’re perfect, it just means you’re at the top of the pile. Yes, some other computers and companies are better niche players, but I think Apple has an amazing package for the general consumer, and you’d be very hard pressed to find anything better overall.

10. Posted December 13, 2003 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Amen brother, amen.

11. Posted December 14, 2003 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

For what it’s worth, the security hole mentioned in that article would take an average user under 30 seconds to fix.

I can’t comment on whether it will or won’t be “fixed”, or what Apple’s opinion on that issue is, but I know that it isn’t a mistake that the machines come configured that way.

12. Posted December 15, 2003 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Ah, here’s the link I was really wanting to post to respond to Kevin’s original comment: