John Mayer’s Invasion

My apologies for my recent absence. I’m working on a pretty serious entry, actually. It’s the most serious thing I’ve ever posted on this blog, but it’s not done yet, so you’ll just have to wait.

You know, I’ll probably chicken out at the last minute and “fun it up” anyhow. I always do that.

Anyhow, I was looking over my Top 50 most played songs in iTunes today, and I suddenly realized that John Mayer has totally invaded my top 50. Fully twelve of the fifteen songs of his that I own are in my top 50 most-played songs. Not even Beck has percentages like that (who is 17 out of 56 for my top 50). So I guess John Mayer is pretty amazing (in my opinion that I didn’t know I had until I looked at the stats in iTunes).

My least-loved Mayer songs? I just added one recently that can’t compete because it hasn’t had the time to stew. But the ones that have naturally fallen to the bottom are “Split Screen Sadness” and “Only Heart.” The tops? Well, the top two have been in my playlists for almost four months longer than the others, so it’s the two radio-friendly ones, “Your Body is a Wonderland” and “No Such Thing.” Still, I’ll stand by the quality of those songs. They’re really excellent. The acoustic version of “Quiet” from “Inside Wants Out” is my third favorite. “Daughters” is climbing the charts quickly.

So I encourage you to go check out John Mayer on the iTunes Music Store. He’s got a very rich sound, very mature lyrics for a guy his age, and his style is a lot of fun. Spend a few Pepsi caps on him.

Posted February 18, 2004 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

John Mayer is quite good, as is Peter Meyer, a local (MN) acoustic artist. Must be something about the last name.

There’s that slight stigma that comes with being popular on the radio now for John, but he’s still good.

2. danielle
    Posted February 18, 2004 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

i can’t believe ‘split screen’ is at the bottom of your john mayer list. it’s so good!

what about ‘wheel’? and ‘come back to bed’? definitely my two favorites on heavier things. and ‘daughters’, very good also…

3. Posted February 19, 2004 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Well, perhaps there are two kinds of Mayer fans. “Wheel” is only a few plays above “Split Screen” and “Only Heart”, It’s 3rd to the last. Interesting. “Come Back to Bed” is in the middle of the list.

Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Have you ever heard of Damien Rice? His Album titled “O” is pretty good, especially “Volcano” and “ESkimo”. There are others that are well done on the album as well. I don’t know if iTunes holds his stuff, but it’d be worth checking out. I heard “Canonball” on the radio today interestingly on 97.1’s Acoustic Sunrise program they run on Sunday mornings “because Sunday mornings are different than Monday mornings,” or something like that. Anyway, check him out and let me know what you think.

5. Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Wow! I really like what I’m hearing! I just found his stuff on iTunes (with “O” and an EP and a single) and it sounds very cool.

This’ll be next in my lineup of stuff to check out.

6. ari
    Posted April 8, 2004 at 8:17 am | Permalink

i love john mayer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i went 2 his concert with maroon 5 in febuary and i want 2 go again sooooooooooooooooo badly i’m absesed with him i dream about him all the time

7. Posted April 8, 2004 at 8:21 am | Permalink

I’m very jealous of your concert-going experience. 🙂 I wish I could see him live.

8. Posted April 21, 2004 at 8:16 am | Permalink

I am seeing John Mayer at Nissan Pavilion this summer! I am so excited about it, i have amazing seats, 11 rows back!! hopefully he will look at me… 🙂 … i got some great seats from
    John Mayer Tickets Anyone in the MD/DC/VA area, should definetely go to this concert!

9. Posted May 12, 2004 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Only Heart is my favorite song, I can’t believe you don’t love it! Also, 3×5 from RFS kicks ass. What do you think about Comfortable, which is, in my opinion, the best song John has EVER written.

-Jaden

10. Posted May 12, 2004 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Jaden,

You might hate me for this, but I don’t yet own all of Mayer’s available music. I’m still somewhat of a beginner, but believe me, I’m busy scraping it up. So what I’m saying is that I down own all of Room for Squares because I got single tracks off of iTunes. However, I do fully intend to get the rest and then some because his music has really proven itself to me.

11. Posted September 19, 2004 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

I’m a huge fan of Mayer, saw him in Chicago then afterwards he played at a local bar by my house. Great set, wish I had a taped copy of it.

12. dave
    Posted October 28, 2004 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

does anyone know the guitar pickups that john uses in lenny? if yah do then e-mail me please!

13. Chris
    Posted November 30, 2004 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Mayer owns all. His acoustic skills are amazing, yet, seen on Heavier Things, the electric guitar seems to show a bit more. It is an amazing experience to own “Any Given Thursday”, for you get to hear his stage pattern and he is in fact a very funny dude. Lenny/Man on the Side is a very good song to hear is electric guitar playing. Lenny is a Stevie Ray Vaughan song that he covered quite well. I Think he uses single coil pickups not humbuckers.