Spy

I saw an iSight software update pop up in the Software Update control panel tonight, and it got me to thinking. When this little gadget was introduced, I had one within a week or two. It was a semi-impulsive buy and I’ve really enjoyed playing with it and chatting with friends from around the country, as you can see.

But the realization that I almost never use it hit me when I saw that update. I actually thought “Well, I could update, but I’d never reap the benefits of the update since I almost never use the thing.” That’s very unlike me when it comes to technology. The only thing I usually ask when someone offers me software is, “Why couldn’t I have had this yesterday?” So then I started thinking about how I could get more use out of my iSight.

I don’t know why I decided to do it this way. I just had to. Maybe I’ll keep it up a week. Or a day. Or a month. Or a year. I have no way of knowing. All I know is that I’ve found some pretty cool software that can actually detect motion, and then when it detects motion it uploads a photo, waits X minutes (X == 5 in my case) and then checks and does it again if there’s more motion. Pretty sweet!

Come enjoy odd, blurry pictures of me in horrible lighting, frowning down at my screen while you still can.

1. Posted February 20, 2004 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Hey, get Moby outta there. We want Josh! We want Josh! We want Josh!

2. Posted February 20, 2004 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Cool. I’ll have to look into this myself.

For now I’m using GeekTool to load your webcam right on my desktop.

Posted February 20, 2004 at 9:47 am | Permalink

LOL! Kevin, it’s soooo true! That low level lighting I’m seeing really makes it work. Hehe, you can probably check up on this a lot this weekend: he’s got a lot of programming to do. We can see his frowns and grimaces in all their glory.

…I take it this is still not the serious topic you’re working on Josh? 😉

4. Posted February 20, 2004 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Well… the fact that I apparently look like Moby is fairly serious, but it’s not what I had in mind. No.

Mike, you’re totally freaking me out. Now I’m definitely going to have to smile more often because I know I’m on your desktop.

Oh, and I should make one thing totally clear, if it wasn’t already. The picture won’t refresh during the day because I’m not actually sitting there. It only refreshes when it detects motion in front of the computer. So… check evenings, but don’t waste your time during the day. 🙂

Posted February 20, 2004 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

The look on your face right now… is sooo odd. It’s like bemused/trippy/LSD Josh, or something. I guess 8 in the morning does that to you.

Posted February 20, 2004 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Whoo! A shot of Steph’s back cut off by the book shelf! I can’t stand the excitement of watching all this! 😉

7. Posted February 20, 2004 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Actually, Neal, that’s not me. I believe that it is indeed Reese Witherspoon. She just happens to be walking through my living room.

Posted February 20, 2004 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

WOW! Can I have that pic? The one up now is Josh staring intently at his computer screen, and Steph staring at the TV screen. Awwww, you guys are both so intent, how cute… or something.

9. danielle
    Posted February 21, 2004 at 1:20 am | Permalink

hmm. you kinda look like the mummy (you know, from the movie).

10. Posted February 21, 2004 at 1:29 am | Permalink

The Mummy?!? What, like with bandages and stuff?

Mmmm… braaaaainnnnnsssss…

Posted February 21, 2004 at 1:44 am | Permalink

You smiled in one! Wow! Usually you look focused, or trippy, or worried.

Posted February 21, 2004 at 2:07 am | Permalink

And now there’s… some guy in the background? It doesn’t look like Steph at any rate.

13. Andy Fast
    Posted February 21, 2004 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Stupid East Coast, I’m missing out on all the action!

Posted February 21, 2004 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Meh, now we’re just watching the door, so we only get to see Henson barking at people passing by. Josh grimacing or sticking his tongue at the cam was much more fun.

Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Who’s the guy in black with the nylon pulled over his face and carrying your TV?

16. Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Oh, that’s Raymond. He dresses like that all the time. I don’t know why.

That’s his TV actually. Brings it with him a lot.

Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

ROFL. This is faaaaaar too entertaining to me.

Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Is this the same Raymond who shops at K-Mart and enjoys 97X – The Future of Rock and Roll? If so I understand why he carries around the TV. Wapner’s on at eight… yeah.

19. Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Oh, you know him? Yeah, he likes to drive real slow in the driveway too. He’s a very good driver.

Posted February 22, 2004 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I know him! We’ve shared short stories. He told me his brother once threw a pair that had his name on them out of a moving vehicle! Anyway, great guy.

Posted February 23, 2004 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Nighty night! Does this mean you got the webpage done?

Posted February 29, 2004 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

HA!!! Is that a scooter!?! CRAZY MAN!!!