I Have a Serious Email Problem

I could just feel it today. At about 3pm today I just knew I was writing more email than ever, and so I checked. I’m totally blowing away my old record. I’ve sent 97 emails since 8:15am this morning.

The scary part? It’s only 6:49pm. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!!!!

Posted March 4, 2004 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Josh, the important thing is that you’ve identified and acknowledged your problem. We’ll be here for you in the future months as you struggle with it.

2. Posted March 5, 2004 at 8:25 am | Permalink

We need more info. Are these like one line emails? Mostly work or personal? Just curious.

3. Posted March 5, 2004 at 9:26 am | Permalink

I think that you should analyze your email content. If there is one specific sort of email you are sending frequently, you may want to automate your workflow with a solution such as QuicKeys or AppleScript. QuicKeys can paste a predefined blob of text into any application, and you can arrange these predefined blobs in a floating toolbar, complete with tabs for different catagories. AppleScript would allow you to bring up Mail.app with a specific To: field, Subject, and Body of the message. You could even fully automate it, having it send automatically as well. Although you probabily want to personalize the message as well. 🙂

Keep sending emails like that, and you’ll get yourself promoted to middle management pretty quick. Just think of how many emails Duke sends every day. 🙂

Posted March 5, 2004 at 9:49 am | Permalink

I note you didn’t seek to add your record and respond to my e-mail yesterday. *sniff* Or are you just trying to break the habit?

5. Posted March 5, 2004 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

I have an AppleScript that prints to a virtual printer every hour to make sure our mac print environment is working. If an error occurs it instead sends an email (using Mail.app of course) to my cel phone. Quite a hack, but useful.

6. Ross Buchanan
    Posted March 5, 2004 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

You could cut down the amount of email you send by consolidating all of the same emails that you send to multiple people by adding those multiple people into the TO: line on one email. Just want to help. The CC: line, only utilized only by advanced users, costs an extra stamp.

7. Posted March 7, 2004 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Wow, I didn’t think this was going to become an Applescript thread.

First off, I would rather not write any script that sends email automatically for me as me. I would rather have a script that sends it as an automated user or something. Plus, if you make a mistake in a script like that and it starts emailing like crazy, you will pay for it (in embarrassment at least).

Ted hit the nail on the head more closely than anyone else though. None of these messages have enough in common that I could automate them. They’re all very, very different from each other. Plus, if I’m automating the sending, who says I’m actually reading the emails that are coming in? The last thing I need is to be uninformed about what’s coming into my Inbox. That, and I would much rather add the bit of a personal touch to each email if and when appropriate.

Neal, yes, I’m trying to break the habit. I thought to myself, “Hey, I should go for triple digits,” and then I thought, “No freaking way. I’ve sent enough for today,” and that was that. If it happens, it’ll happen naturally. I’m guessing I might have hit 98 or maybe 99 that day, but that was it. And I don’t want to have to VPN in to find out right now. 🙂

Ross, I hope you’re joking about the To and CC field stuff. Many of the 97 emails I sent were sent to groups of ten or more people at a time. And I’m not counting that as ten emails. I’m counting that as one. I sent 97 entirely different emails. That’s what I’m talking about here. Huge volumes of non-automateable work.

Yes, I think he’s joking. I don’t know because I didn’t see a 😉 on it. But it’s good to see you on here, man!

PS> To recover from the huge amount of emails, I went of vacation away from email from Friday morning to only about half an hour ago. Yay! 🙂

8. Ross