Inflammatory Words

A photo of the bumper sticker, which says: Frodo failed. Bush got the ring. I saw this bumper sticker today. It boggles my mind that people can be this petty and childish. Obviously this person wanted to share their opinion with traffic as quickly as possible since the election is still fairly new news. Dear motorist: Canada is only 1000 miles away. Drive there and get on with your life, or quit whining.

Is it wrong of me to say that? Is it wrong to want people to have intelligent discourse instead of mindlessly insulting the president? This doesn’t create intelligent discourse. This just creates blind hatred. This person should expend their energy in more useful ways.

Posted November 29, 2004 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Bah, just ignore it. People are foolishly annoyed and bitter over the election. Hey, I can see being upset and all that, but many are being petty about it as well. There’s the whole political cartoon, webpage, and forum attempt (seen all three) to make half the country idiots for voting for Bush and all that. *sigh* It’s ironic, because it’s exactly what these people hate Bush for: my way or the highway.

2. POP
    Posted November 29, 2004 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I recommend the book “Radical Son” by David Horowitz to you. He was at the heart of the revolutionary movement in the 60’s and early 70’s. Growing up as the son of Communists living in New York and doing all they could to bring about the socialist revolution, he carried on their legacy in all the key liberal causes of the 60’s and 70’s until he realized the emptiness, deadliness and naivete of the leftists. With tremendous perceptivity he writes, “What my family longed for was an impossible fantasy: that mankind would be released from history, which included individual success and failure; their ambition was that poverty and inequality would disappear form the earth. To realize this fantasy they dedicated themselves to the Communist cause.” and yet, “The lesson to me was clear: ‘Socialism makes men poor beyond their wildest dreams.’ ”

When he finally left his old comrades, after a friend of his was murdered by Huey Newton’s Black Panthers for Newton’s political ends (she was not their enemy, but a Panther employee Horowitz had recommended to them), he began to have second thoughts. After departing the cause, he found that the hatred he felt from the left was far stronger and deeper than anything he’d experienced from the right when he had opposed them. He writes, (p. 430) “What often impressed me was the tolerance of the conservatives.”

I know, I know, if you’ve grown up around conservatives, you may find that hard to believe. But it reflects the truth from a very experienced voice. There are worse manifestations than rude disapproval, provincialism and stubbornness.

3. Aimee
    Posted December 1, 2004 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I recently accompanied Matt’s little sister to a side of Cleveland where I have never been before, to go “shopping”. We get there, and aside from all the multi-colored flags, I got the feeling this was the liberal side of town. I suddenly felt very uncomfortable, yet intrigued.

The first, and *only*, store we went into had a section right up near the front window with Bush dolls. These were not just any dolls, these were press the button and hear an “inspirational” Bush quote in his own words. I won’t go into details about the rest of the items for sale (I won’t even mention the button that said Jesus was a liberal), leave that to the imagination. However, we both learned something that day – there actually is another side of the tracks. It’s odd how people will make buttons, signs, bumper stickers, cards, t-shirts, and even dolls that say pretty much anything. Even stranger, there’s people out there that purchase these items.

4. habib
    Posted December 8, 2004 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

It’s even odder how novelty crap makes people feel uncomfortable. As someone on the left, I don’t feel hatred from the right, I just feel a lot of knee-jerk defensiveness, even before I open my mouth.

5. Posted December 8, 2004 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m not sure it’s “novelty crap” as much as it’s what that crap represents. There’s an ignorance (admittedly on both sides) and when ignorant people open their mouths or put stickers on their cars, they make the ignorance spread. It’s contagious, and I’m seeing a person here who doesn’t cover their mouth when they sneeze.

Posted December 9, 2004 at 6:56 am | Permalink

Just saw a red, white, and blue bumper sticker that says, “Nobody died/ When Clinton lied.” Blah, blah, blah… It’s going to be a long four years for these haters.

7. habib
    Posted December 9, 2004 at 9:44 am | Permalink

thanks eddie.

josh, it is like not covering your mouth when someone sneezes. at the same time, you have to allow people who don’t agree with your viewpoint to openly express themselves in public. take for instance, fox news. i don’t like fox news. I would go as far as to say the world would be a better place if fox news didn’t exist. Now, am I out protesting fox news, calling them up, wearing anti-fox news t-shirts? no, i just don’t watch it. but let’s say I did own an anti-fox news t-shirt. And it’s one t-shirt out of the 40 I own. And I was out of clean clothes that day, except that one t-shirt. And…. etc.

You get the point. Who knows why people do these things when most people obviously know better. Same way with someone who sneezes and doesn’t cover their mouth when you sneeze: You can lecture them, and they may change, but it’s ultimately your choice to deal with your reaction how you want to. If anti-bush bumper stickers get you riled up, you can either tear it off, argue with the person, go home and tell everyoen what a moron was on the street, or tell yourself that was one moron and he had an opinion but chose a bad way to express it and move on.