The Return of Free Songs

iTunes and Pepsi have teamed up again, and I’m once again in the possession of a code for a free song that I can’t redeem due to this little thing called the official rules and “Section 9.” So, like last year, I’m putting the code in the comments, and I expect whoever redeems it to tell us what they purchased and why. Heck, give us a review of the song! It’s free!

1. Posted February 10, 2005 at 11:30 am | Permalink

The code is JZ6NWQ4JAO.

That last character might be an “O” or a zero. I’m not sure which. Try “O” first, and then zero.

2. Posted February 10, 2005 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Woohoo!

I just purchased “Visions of Anna” by Matt Sharp (the ex Weezer frontman) . I’m experiencing technical difficulties downloading the file right now but the 30 sec promo sounds good 🙂

Further review to follow. Song chosen for obvious reference in the title 🙂

3. Posted February 10, 2005 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

This song comes off the “Puckett versus the Country Boy EP”, one of the first solo pursuits of the aforementioned Matt Sharp. The song has a real mellow, melencholy-ish, relaxed sound which I like a lot. Its very sparse musically with a bit of piano and steel guitar underlying simple vocals. Unfortunately, the line from the title is followed by “make me cry”. Sorry Matt, visions of my Anna don’t make me cry, in fact I usually smile like an idiot when I see her. Otherwise, a cool song (if you’re not looking for a pick-me-up).

4. Posted February 10, 2005 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Excellent! Thank you Mr. Fast. You are fast indeed, as your free song will testify.

5. Posted February 10, 2005 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Heh, I’d love to get free songs, except I always buy full albums. I think I’ve only ever bought 2 songs individually from iTMS.

6. Posted February 11, 2005 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I use them to buy EPs of artists I enjoy. I have also used them to buy just one song based on a friends recommendation of a good band. What have you got to lose? It’s free!

7. Posted February 11, 2005 at 11:59 am | Permalink

And some of us are too cheap to buy full albums. Last week I had $15 to spend and lust for three albums. I ended up spending the cash on iTunes getting just the songs I liked (judging by the 30-second preview and the songs I’d heard on the best radio station ever). Getting one album vs. the songs I really wanted from three albums? Though I regret not getting the liner notes, for a cheapo like me it’s a clear-cut choice.

I also love the free Pepsi caps as a way to discover new songs.