Church Graffiti

Someone decided to express their views on the brick walls of my parents’ church sometime between Saturday night and Sunday morning this weekend. These were the messages that were left on the church.

GW + (cross) = (swastika)
GW + (Cross) = (Swastika)

400 THOU MUSLIMS KILLD
400 THOU MUSLIMS KILLD

15 MIL INDNS KILLED BY (Cross)
15 MIL INDNS KILLED BY (Cross)

1. Dave
    Posted June 1, 2005 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Josh, your blog is not a news page – tell how this incident makes you feel. What are your thoughts?

2. Posted June 1, 2005 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Well, at least someone broke the silence! Thank you Dave. 🙂

I’m actually interested in hearing people’s reactions before I publish mine. That’s why I did it that way. But no one is reacting, at least not “out loud” in the comments. That’s the most surprising part of the whole thing to me.

3. Posted June 2, 2005 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Sorry for not posting my reaction. I too was waiting to see what others would say. My emotional response was mostly deep sadness, over the confusion of the person(s) doing that and the way the chose to express it. I wavered between outrage and acceptance that this is the world we live in.

Do you know if other churches, temples, mosques were vandalized in a similar way? Or was it just your dad’s church?

Posted June 3, 2005 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I’d echo Tim and also ask for your thoughts Josh. I hadn’t replied until now because I have for some reason not been checking blogs as of late, go figure.

Acts like this really don’t make much sense. “Look, I think your beliefs have caused destruction in the past, so let me destroy your stuff. Please ignore any irony involved. Kthxbye.” Sorry to be lighthearted about it, but I think I need to be or I’d get depressed too easily. Anyways, I’m sorry this happened, and hopefully the perpetrator gets straightened out a bit.

Posted June 3, 2005 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I’d like to know what goes on in a head of a person who’d do something like that. Obviously he, she, them are not thoughtful people. It’s one thing to express your opinion, but another to ruin property and do it like a coward. There’s no statement made besides self-deception and anger in this action. There’s no need for us to feel anything more than sorrow for that sucker who can’t see beyond the bricks (s)he’s spraying on. The building can be fixed and cleaned or will eventually fall down, but this decaying person has an eternal soul that has much bigger and longer lasting issues at hand that (s)he can’t escape…

That said, it also couldn’t hurt if (s)he’d retake some math, english, and social studies classes.

6. Posted June 3, 2005 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Well, first off, no one has to apologize for not posting their reactions! It would be silly if anyone was somehow guilty for staying silent on my blog. I guess I’m really the only one who is obliged to speak up in some form.

As far as we know, there were no other churches, synagogues, mosques, or temples that were vandalized. There were apparently some nearby road signs tagged with the same color. It seems likely that the perps were bored local kids just being spontaneous and naughty. My dad guessed that no other buildings got hit because these kids can’t drive yet. 🙂

I reacted angrily when I first heard it, and I started defending my political ideals, denying links between Christianity and Naziism, etc. But then I realized that was pointless, because I don’t think people who look deeply into things would actually believe that. Then, I moved on to hoping these people would get arrested and fined.

Then, I moved on to my current position, which is that I really hope they find Truth some day. Even soon. I would love to see them come to church at Trinity, simply because it would be so ironic, but also because that’s oftentimes the way God works. But even if it’s not Trinity, I hope they find out what Jesus is really all about. The last thing we need to do to these kids, as Christians, is hate them and be angry about this. We should be returning messages of love and forgiveness.

7. POP
    Posted June 3, 2005 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

The graffiti has successfully been sand-blasted off, for which I’m thankful.

It’s probably true that those who did this were uninformed and reacting to some messed-up, juvenile, destructive impulses. They don’t have an accurate idea of who Christ or his followers truly are. What we experienced this past week was a hit and run reaction to a popular but inaccurate stereotype.

Yet, the day will come when there will be those who oppose the church will do so knowing exactly and pretty accurately what we stand for and doing all they can to hurt the Body of Christ as deeply as possible. That will be the day when our metal will be tested.

Rev. 13:5 The beast was given a mouth to utter proud words and blasphemies and to exercise his authority for forty-two months.

Rev. 13:7 He was given power to make war against the saints and to conquer them. And he was given authority over every tribe, people, language and nation.

Rev. 13:10 If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity he will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword he will be killed. This calls for patient endurance and faithfulness on the part of the saints.

Rev. 12:11 They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.

Spray paint on brick is pretty small potatoes…once the initial adrenalin goes down.

8. Posted June 6, 2005 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I just decided to check out the discussion here when I saw there were 7 comments. I think it’s kind of funny noticing “silence” over a blog entry posted on Memorial day. Personally I didn’t respond because there wasn’t much to say. Josh didn’t make any sort of statement, and saying “stupid kids” in a blog didn’t seem to be worth the time.

I think graffiti is a pretty widespread deal. The Lutheran school across the street from my house was tagged this weekend, just the latest in a series of graffiti vandalism in my neighborhood. I’m not trying to justify it, just saying it happens a lot.

9. Posted June 6, 2005 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Well, I think the interesting thing isn’t that a church was tagged. I’m sure this is probably the 10,000th time that has happened.

The interesting thing here is the socio-political content in the tagging. As its been said, this was probably done by some kids who just wanted to make some noise and get into a little trouble to fight their boredom, but when they had the chance to write anything they wanted, they didn’t spray obscenities or write their tagger signatures on the church like most taggers would do. They decided to at least imply that the church had murdered thousands/millions of people for their religion and ethnicity, and also imply that the church fosters/supports facist ideals in current American culture and politics. That’s not regular graffiti; that’s a political protest, however poorly communicated.

What did they spray on the Lutheran school?

10. Posted June 7, 2005 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Out of curiosity how high up on the building is it? That might give an idea to the height of the vandals. I agree with you JL when you imply that this seems like more than just a prank because I don’t think a prankster would put numbers up. I guess it is possible to just throw out some random number but they don’t seem very random. I imagine that whoever did this had a bad experience or two with someone who claimed to be a Christian but maybe wasn’t very Christ-like to them. Anyone ever heard these numbers before? I wonder where they got their “facts”.