Nano-nanoo

Steve Jobs holding the iPod nanoIt’s actually slightly embarrassing that instead of blogging about all the significant or interesting or deeply-personal things that have happened to me in the last few weeks, I’m going to post a link to the iPod nano, but I just wanted to hear your comments.

It has a color screen. It has 14 hours of battery life per charge. It’s thinner than a standard “No. 2” pencil. Now you know what that secondary, tiny pocket nestled inside your front-right jeans pocket is really for.

I’m not personally planning on buying one since I just got a 60 GB iPod last week (my previous one was suffering from old age and abuse), but man, if I didn’t have an iPod, and if my music would fit in a 4 GB space, I’d be all over it.

Watch the keynote in QuickTime

1. Posted September 7, 2005 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

The link says it only has 4GB of space – did I miss the 6 GB part or did you mistype? Just curious. I’ve been thinking I want an iPod Shuffle, but now that I’ve seen this one, I’ll think I’ll hold out a little longer….

2. Posted September 7, 2005 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

D’oh! You’re right. There are two models: 2 GB and 4 GB. I think I had a “6” in my head from the 60 GB one I wrote about. Fixed! Thanks.

3. Posted September 8, 2005 at 9:16 am | Permalink

I like it but my shuffle currently handles my sports music needs and the rock solid 1G (yeah, it is still working after like 4 years) handles tunes in the homestead. I think I’ll wait another generation or two before dumping the 1G.

4. Posted September 8, 2005 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

I also feel compelled to point out that Wikipedia already has an iPod nano entry up on their site. I just love that. That’s 24-hours, people. New entry. Bingo.

5. Posted September 8, 2005 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I think it’s pretty cool and all, but the $200 price tag seems pretty high. I guess I always wish the fun toys were cheaper.

I’m also a bit surprised that they did away with the colored iPod Minis. Those were very fashionable and managed to make fans out of quite a few teen girls who otherwise wouldn’t be so excited about a music player. White and black just isn’t the same as pink, blue and green.

6. Posted September 8, 2005 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Meh. If you want color, buy a nano tube! It’s not like the player becomes bulky suddenly with it. 🙂

And yes, I think we’d all like to see everything be cheaper. The point is, the nano is worth that price tag.

7. Posted September 9, 2005 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Here’s another solution for those wanting colorful nanos. Check it out.

I like that orange one.

8. Dookie
    Posted September 11, 2005 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

This is the first iPod that really makes sense for me given my music habits and the normal ways I have access to them. In other words, it hit my sweet spot on a niche musical need/want and so I ordered a black 4GB one.

Also, the non-Steve Jobs presenters at that conference were just painful. I took my headphones off to avoid them while the video played. I’m not saying Jobs is super great, but thank goodness he’s listenable.

9. Posted September 14, 2005 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I think the teenage girl population would disagree with you. There’s a big difference between customizing your iPod to get the color you want vs. it coming in the color you want.

As for the price, $250 for 4 GB. A year ago I paid $50 more for 10x the space. $300 for 40 GB (not including any discounts). Maybe you can argue that it works out, but I just wish you could get more space. Everybody else may be happy with 375 songs, but I’m not.

It’s still very drool-worthy. I just like my gigabytes. 😉

10. Posted September 14, 2005 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Well said, Kevin! That’s precisely why the nano isn’t for you. You’re not the type of customer who would want one. Neither am I. That’s why I’ve got a 60 GB iPod photo.