A Modest Questioning Thingy

Now that Jonathan Swift is rolling over in his grave, I’ve got a story to tell. Neal wrote a blog entry recently in which he told the story of how he proposed to his now-fiancee. And I promised that I would, in the spirit of the whole thing, also tell the story of how I proposed to my now-wife.

So here it is. Just for posterity. (Some of you were there. I’d love to hear what you recall, if anything.)

First a tiny bit of back story. Steph and I met in late August of 1997. We hit it off immediately (well, she didn’t really like me for the first month. Deleted my voicemails, etc) and spent obscene amounts of time together. Things developed. We were semi-official about our relationship in April of 1998, although we had been trying since the earlier fall to deny the whole thing. Our fear and reluctance was stupid and immature. Those are the boring details. I skipped over the early good stuff to focus the spotlight; I hope you don’t mind.

Sometime in early 1999 Steph told me of a dream she had wherein I proposed to her. Not that she was dropping hints or anything. Of course not! But she did give the the details of the dream. In September of 1999 I knew it was time, and I bought a ring, and recreated the dream. This was the dream, and this is what happened.

Stephanie was with Melissa, an old roommate of hers, and they were having dinner. Melissa worked for Bethel Catering. Melissa told Steph that Steph simply had to see a setup Melissa had just finished for a special event in a particular room at Bethel that was usually reserved for fancy banquets. Steph followed her down to this room (whose name slips me) and opened the door, and then things got strange. All the people from a particular class Steph and I had taken Freshmen year together filed out of the room one by one, each holding a single rose. And one by one, they gave her their rose and walked past, without saying much.

She was then led into the room, where I was standing with a microphone and Johnny Taylor at my side. Johnny was playing the piano. (Ashley Parent was substituted for the real-life version since Johnny had moved elsewhere. She was excellent, and also in our wedding. And now she’s a Malette.) I sang “She’s Got A Way” by Billy Joel. I got down on one knee. I proposed. And there you have it.

In the real life version, I also threw in a case of Dr. Pepper as an inside joke. Sometimes when someone in Steph’s family makes a big purchase (e.g. buys a car), they’ll close the deal by saying, “I’ll take that deal if you throw in a case of pop.” So I threw one in, just to close it. She got it. She said “yes.” Well, actually she said, “If you put that ring on my finger,” which I’ve never quite let her forget. Sorry hon.

It was a lot of fun. We got a couple pictures. It really meant a lot to me to be able to have my friends there to witness the event and be a part of it, since I tend to live life through the eyes of the ones I love.

And there you have it! I hope you enjoyed my little story.

1. Posted November 16, 2005 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

2. Posted November 16, 2005 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Hey! I remember fear and reluctance. My fear and reluctance to enter my own dorm room for fear of finding Josh and Steph being a little too affectionate for a couple that wasn’t officially a couple. 😉

It was fun to be a part of that whole thing. Best use of the Upsalla room ever (I think that’s what it was called). And if I recall, it was a hoot watching Josh be incredibly nervous that entire day. This was the same guy who finished our radio show intros minutes before we had to be out the door.

3. Posted November 16, 2005 at 9:05 am | Permalink

It was the Eastlund Room.

Posted November 16, 2005 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Yup, Eastlund.

I recall wondering if I should REALLY take part, considering I hadn’t been in the class, but meh, I went ahead anyways. And I couldn’t hear anything really when it happened… so now that I hear it, I know that Steph was apparently a “high maintenence” engagee. 😉

I recall going to pick up the said ring, and got bored while Josh was filling out some lame forms or something and went to the Kaybee Toys across the way. And I realize now that I am a selfish bastard for not being there the whole time. But hey, at least I held the ring while we drove back… I think I even hid in my socks… or maybe that was in Josh’s socks? I can’t recall.

I have only had 2 uncomfortable moments with Josh and Steph. First was when Steph walked in the open door of our B2 aparment (SOMEONE forgot to close it, despite it being only 10:30 in the morning), and walked into the room I shared with Kevin as I was pulling up my pants. *blushes* The second… Josh and Steph were doing… something in our room in Heritage when I opened the door after knocking, and gave me looks until I grabbed the book I was searching for and hightailed it out of there. Yeesh, it was MY ROOM TOO, YOU KNOW! 😉

But yeah, watching your relationship and obscene amounts of time together (which worried me at times) has been great! I suppose being friends with you both through it all has been equally great. 😉

Posted November 16, 2005 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Oh, and Jonathan Swift has left his grave and is coming after you Joshua: that’s how bad your title is. 😉

6. Posted November 16, 2005 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Geez! We sound like make-out fiends! You know… now that I think about it, we were probably exceptional in that area. I’d just like to make it clear that Steph and I were both virgins when we married. Just in case anyone wasn’t clear on that. 🙂

It’s so fun listening to these stories, and seeing what people remember and what they don’t. Eastlund! Yes. Thank you, Tim, although I know you’re capable of cheating on this memory test.

Jonathan Swift has been rotting for 260 years now, so I think I can take him, have he Dark Powers of Hell or no. I mean, those bones are brittle! I bet he’s never seen a pile driver.

Posted November 17, 2005 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Josh, have you never seen Evil Dead 2? Unless you have a chainsaw attached to your forearm and a “Boomstick” from S-Mart (Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!), you’re screwed. Face the facts man, a skeleton with a distinguished accent is going to make you rue the day. Rue it I say!

Ummm, you and Steph were exceptional at what? Making out? 😉 Just wondering… as you leave that open to interpretation, heh. And I don’t think anyone was making comments about virginity… Mr. Taking Things Too Seriously. Sillyhead.

8. Posted November 17, 2005 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

We did spend obscene amounts of time together, didn’t we? Ahh… good times.