Silly Love Songs

Since it’s Valentine’s Day, I think we should share our favorite love songs! I have three.

“She’s Got a Way” by Billy Joel is really special to me since it’s the song I sang to Stephanie when I proposed to her. I also love the free, simple joy found in “I Will” by the Beatles. I actually recorded both of those for Steph at one point in college with the help of Garret Johnson and Ashley Parent. (Ashley helped me figure out the piano chords for “She’s Got a Way”.) They’re still on my iPod, and come up randomly. It’s fun to think back to those times.

My third favorite is “Silly Love Songs” by Paul McCartney and Wings. McCartney has a gift with melody that is really unmatched, in sheer volume or quality, by any other modern pop composer I’ve ever heard. The melody of “Silly Love Songs” is a great example of that.

What are your favorites?

Posted February 14, 2006 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Ohhh, I’m sure I have a couple around here, somewhere. Hmmmmm, but now I don’t know if I’m supposed to list just SILLY love songs, or just good ones in general.

First off, I really, really like “She’s the One,” by Robbie Williams. I think it’s in the movie called the Matchmaker, and it’s quite good.

In a more punkish note, I also like “Riley Joe” by Home Town Hero. It reminds me a lot of Jessica, and has a lot of the exuberance that is characteristic of love (and mine of her, heh, but I was trying to make it universal). Loving, but in a non-mushy way, heh.

2. Posted February 14, 2006 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Oh, they don’t have to be silly. I don’t think any of mine are particularly wacky or impish. But if a silly love song is someone’s favorite, then they should list it by all means.

I’ll be sure to check yours out, Neal. I can’t hear them in my head, although I feel like I recognize the titles.

3. Posted February 14, 2006 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

My number one is “Wink and a Smile”, by Harry Connick, Jr. This was the song Ille and I danced to at our wedding. Number 2 would be “In the Mood” by Glenn Miller (No relation). It just so happens to be my parents song that they danced to at their wedding. Number 3, which I don’t think is necessarily a love song, but it is still on my list…”I Need More Love” by Robert Randolph & the Family Band.

4. danielle
    Posted February 14, 2006 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

thought i was the only one who listened to robbie williams anymore! good choice, neal.

i would also like to add: “amy” by bobby darin and “heartbeat (cornelius remix)” by tahiti 80

5. Posted February 15, 2006 at 12:38 am | Permalink

I’ve tended to be more classic with songs like “Look of Love”, “Fly me to the moon”, and lastly “I’ve got you under my skin”. All have been recorded by many people but my favorite has to be Frank Sinatra or Diana Krall.

6. Posted February 15, 2006 at 6:38 am | Permalink

The only love song that can stop me dead in my tracks and sing along every time is “L-O-V-E” by Nat King Cole. It doesn’t get better than that, for my money.

After that, I’m not sure. Let me think about it some more to round out the top threee.

7. Posted February 15, 2006 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I’ve thought of number two. Elton John’s “Your Song” – especially as sung by Ewan in MR!. Now I need a third…

Posted February 16, 2006 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Good one, Tim. I’d put “Your Song” in there as well.

9. jess
    Posted March 1, 2006 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I’m late, as always. My faves? Since Neal stole a couple of mine that I’ve loved for ages (since I discovered HtH and “The Matchmaker” right out of college), I’ll have to find different ones.

Hrrmmm…

The Verve Pipe, “Colorful”
    Peter Gabriel, “The Book of Love”
    The Shins, “Girl Inform Me”
    MxPx, “Quit Your Life”
    5Fe Frenzy, “Ugly Day”
    Shakira, “Ciega, Sordomuda”
    Selena, “Bidi bidi bom bom”
    Ghoti Hook’s version of “Walking on Sunshine”
    Mana, “Eres mi religion”
    Jamie Cullum, “All at Sea”
    Bob Schneider, “Big Blue Sea”
    Dan Powell, “Pieces”
    Shakira, “Solo Tu” (“Si hablo demasiado, no dejes mi lado…” heheh Perfect for me!)
    3 Doors Down, “I Feel You”

Ummmm…I’ll stop while I’m ahead. I have too many that are beautifully written or fun or just speak to what we should/do feel so danged well…

Great post idea! (And I hope you found some good new music out of the deal, too!)