The new Mini

I just bought one, fully loaded. I’m incredibly excited.

1. Posted February 28, 2006 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

So you don’t mind that the gfx chip has integrated memory?

When it arrives, please do tell if it can handle a 1080p H264 trailer at full speed.

2. Posted February 28, 2006 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

From what I read Kevin, while the integrated chip does nothing to help 3D gamers it apparently is very good for video:

3. Mom
    Posted March 3, 2006 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

NOW are you faster than your parents and grandparents?

4. Posted March 3, 2006 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Well, by next Wednesday I will be. 🙂

5. Posted March 19, 2006 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I just figured I’d report back and let you all know I’m totally loving it. It plays the HD trailers extremely well, Kevin. 🙂 You should see the Xmen trailer on this bad boy. It has to scale it down because my monitor isn’t big enough, of course, and I think that might be the cause of the occasional stutter I think I see when I play it.

6. Posted March 19, 2006 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

I take it back! There’s no stuttering whatsoever, actually. It’s an effect they’re using on certain clips to give them dramatic effect. They slow the FPS of that particular clip down even though the trailer itself is still playing back at 24 FPS. I just watched the entire trailer again with the “info” window open, and it said it was currently playing at 24 FPS the entire time, without dipping once.

7. Dave
    Posted March 22, 2006 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Maybe Apple just doctors the info pane 🙂

We bought one of those bad boys and hooked it up to our 50″ HD plasma display and surround sound stereo system in our kitchen – it’s sick.

8. Posted March 22, 2006 at 10:21 am | Permalink

LOL… if Apple doctored anything, the entire world would know about it within 30 seconds, and Apple’s stock price would be instantly cut in half by jittery investors.