World of Warcraft Spells “Wow!”

I don’t know how, as a card-carrying geek, I’m supposed to defend the fact that my wife blogged about World of Warcraft before I did. Especially when I’ve been playing it since last November. How did I let this happen? It’s nigh unforgivable, really. I throw myself at the mercy of the pale-skinned, socially-inept court. May they see my tears through the tape on their glasses.

Milpool, Destroyer of Extremely Small WorldsHaving properly spoken my mea culpa, I must now extol the virtues of WoW. The acronym for the game’s name is quite appropriate. The more I learn about this world, the more impressed I am with the creators of the game. The whole team must be filled with geniuses. The basics of the game are pretty simple. You create a character, name it, and start exploring. I created a gnome mage (seen at right) and named him Milpool. (Someone identify that reference!) Some folks in game refer to him as “littlebit.” But you should see him dance!

The world in which you’re exporing is gigantic. It would take hours just to run through most of it, let alone actually interact with any of it. In real feet and inches, I’m guessing the game’s world is about the size of New Hampshire. It’s just really large for a game. And each section of the world (state or province, if you will) has a unique look and feel. As your player grows, he or she becomes more powerful, able to help others more and fight more powerful enemies.

But the key is that the entire game is online. So most of the other characters in the game are actually real people that you can chat with, invite to help you on a quest, and befriend. I’ve actually played this game with Neal for several hours. So we discussed life and current events as we collected vulture eggs and boar intestines. Much like real boys do!

This game is definitely contending for Favorite Game of All Time in my book. I’m sure at some point I’ll get tired of it. Probably around the same time that I don’t have any friends playing it anymore. But currently there are over 150 Apple employees that play it, so that won’t happen anytime soon.

1. Dave
    Posted March 26, 2006 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

No offense, Josh, but I miss the controversial posts you used to make, and the long discussions that followed from them. How about doing a blog entry on your views on evolution? Or maybe on the possible negative effects of technology on children, or adults for that matter? The Patriot Act? Censorship? Recreational drug use?

2. Posted March 26, 2006 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Because I know better than to rely on politics to fix things. Speaking of missing things, I miss you having a website, Dave. 😉

OK, let’s try to steer towards the topic at hand in some general way here.

3. Posted March 27, 2006 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Bart: Sign my cast?

Milhouse: (while looking at pool writes: ‘Get well soon, your friend Milpool.’)

Wish I could say I remembered the quote, but I just had a hunch and had to turn to the ol’ Internet. Reminds me of the old days when Josh used to try to find something online in a set time frame.

4. Posted March 27, 2006 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Kevin, I at least remembered that it dealt with Milhouse, and was the pool episode, I just couldn’t remember the cast-signing. So I award myself second place.

5. Posted March 27, 2006 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Excellent job, both of you!

It’s just that much funnier that my mage is a “caster”. See… because he casts spells, but Milhouse… he… never mind.

6. Posted March 27, 2006 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear you are enjoying WOW. I myself continue to be tempted by WOW, but to date have resisted successfully.

FF XI, my first MMOG, took almost a year of my life while I played and while I enjoyed it tremendously, I could not do so in moderation. 🙁

I still do play the FF XI soundtrack sometimes. It’s a nice was to bring me back subconsciously while I continue to do my real work.

7. Posted March 27, 2006 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I really think that’s the whole key to this type of game. Play in moderation, and give yourself realistic limits. If you play six hours a day, especially on weeknights, that’s probably a bad sign. 🙂

I’m doing my best to keep it to an hour or so per weekday. That gives me a much-needed mental break without taking my evening away.

8. Posted March 28, 2006 at 6:31 am | Permalink

I used to be a gamer but now I just don’t play anything. Perhaps it is the fact that I don’t really own any current gaming hardware (console or computer) or maybe I’m just not interested in any of the current games. I can’t remember the last time I played a video game for a whole hour. Maybe it was when double dash first came out.

Posted March 28, 2006 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Yeah, it’s fun for awhile. But if the community starts getting on your nerves, or you’ve pretty much seen and done a lot in the game, it loses a bit of its luster. Part of the reason I quit playing was that it seemed boring and like work. I couldn’t have said that in the first few months I played it, but definitely afterwards.

But yeah… budgeting time with games is a good thing. I realized how much time I had for things when I had no cable, and I’m realizing that more and more as I cut back on games. Which is a good thing.

Jeff, you don’t need current hardware! There are a lot of great games out there that are a few years old and up. Half the games I’ve been playing over the past year are at least a couple years old, and some date from the Playstation and even Super Nintendo era. Man, I wish I had a Nintendo, I’d still play that thing, heh.

But ummmm, yeah. WoW. It has plenty of shortcomings, but it can definitely be fun when enjoyed in moderation. Enjoy, but keep your eye on the clock!

10. Posted March 28, 2006 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Jeff, no worries. That movement away from video games is just old age setting in. 😉

11. Mom
    Posted March 28, 2006 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Milpool is what your Grandpa Lewis did when he was buying a farm implement and signed his name “Manure Spreader”.

12. Posted March 29, 2006 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

josh wrote: I’m doing my best to keep it to an hour or so per weekday.

That was a problem of FF XI. After level 10 it was mandatory to be in a group of 6 people to level your character and you spent a lot of time just LFG (Looking for group). Groups also had to have a certain dynamic. You couldn’t just team up with random jobs and get anything done.

It got harder still when people would leave a group without warning so we could make arrangements for a replacement as well.

I hear WOW is much more forgiving about such things .. and I’m sure it’s one of the reasons it is so popular.

Posted April 4, 2006 at 6:08 am | Permalink

Mike, WoW is a little bad for grouping, unless you get into a good guild. Otherwise, there are plenty of missions and stuff that require teams, and finding a good one can be tricky. And the lvl 60+ content is almost entirely raid oriented, meaning you have to get together 20-40 people to get ’em done. Ouch. It helps that there are a lot of people wanting to do it, but between the difficulties of finding a team and the time commitment, it’s a bit of an ouch.

Personally, I’ve found that City of Heroes was much more forgiving on finding teams, and in time requirements. Sure, you’ll have to work to level up, but seems to demand more and more time the further you get in.

And I don’t know if I could call this a favorite game of all-time, Josh. Paying monthly for a game you have to buy in the first place is a bit iffy, no matter how good or well-conceived the game is. Gaming can be expensive enough as it is without adding this monthly play payment thing (on top of paying for your internet as well, I might add).