42,000 Viewers

My YouTube video, Making an LED Throwie just passed the 42,000 viewer mark. That’s over 100 people every day since the video was posted. I’m kinda proud of that, although I really wish I had spent just a bit more time making the video suck less than it does.

The editing is OK, but I didn’t plan out what I was going to say at all, and that shows. It’s all just one-take blabber. The lighting is bad too (especially in the first shot), and the list of negatives goes on. I honestly never thought 42,000 people would see it, so I didn’t care about that stuff when I posted it. But then the eyeballs started rolling in.

So, lesson learned: if you’re putting something up for general consumption, take an extra day or two to put some polish on it and make it really good. Your thousands of unsuspecting viewers won’t notice the delay, but they will notice the higher quality in the video.

Another interesting thing I’ve found is how widely the comments vary. I’ve never been viciously insulted or attacked so much in my life as I have been in the comments of that video. I know the Internet can be a pretty nasty place (I’d contend that I know that better than almost anyone), but I’m still surprised at the vitriol some people will spew at me that has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the video. If you don’t like the video, that’s fine, but please don’t tell me where to shove it. It’s sorta like they had a bad day and just had to yell at someone. I’ve removed most of those comments from the comment log on YouTube’s page, so you won’t find them there anymore. I figure that I don’t want to encourage such talk by letting would-be insulters see how common their impulses really are.

My personal favorite comment? The simple, “I Love You Moby.” Excellent.

1. Emily
    Posted May 15, 2007 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I must admit I felt very defensive of my brother while reading some of those comments. Weird. People don’t have any reason to use common decency while on the internet. Why is there so much anger over such a little simple silly video?

2. POP
    Posted May 16, 2007 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Give people virtual anonymity and we see just how basically “good” the human race is. Though people find small towns, “where everyone knows everyone else’s business” oppressive, because “everyone knows everyone else’s business,” the lack of anonymity keeps the people more civil than they’d be otherwise. Go to a big city, furnish the people the “privacy” of the crowd and the results are not pretty. Bad driving habits that in a small town would earn one at worst a chuckle, a pitying shake of the head and some petty gossip, will elicit the most vulgar displays and violent threats in a large metro area. Am I saying that everyone in a small town is a fine example of humanity? Hardly, but there they will exercise more restraint (unless they are high or drunk) than when made virtually invisible by blending into a huge population. Am I saying that everyone in a metroplex is a beast? No, there are some fine people there…some of the finest. But the metro environment….or, back to our original topic, the anonymity of the internet brings worst out of many, many people.

3. Mamalew
    Posted May 16, 2007 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

What we do when we think no one is looking proves what we are inside. Scary.

4. Posted May 16, 2007 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

I generally agree with what you’re saying.

It’s worth pointing out, though, that I think it’s also easier for us to focus on negative people than it is for us to focus on positive people.

I’d estimate I got at least three times as many friendly, positive comments as I got really negative, vicious ones. And yet here I am posting an entry where I don’t really mention the nice things people said. I only mention the bad stuff.

Why is that?

5. POP
    Posted May 17, 2007 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

We’ve all heard the statement that for every negative comment a person receives they need seven or ten positive or encouraging comments to balance it. It seems that the negative seems to “stick” with us more. We tend to discount the positive, or even, if we’re particularly confident, view it as normative. But if we receive a negative comment it comes as a “body blow” that really impacts us. Drive down the street, see ten people, make eye contact with them, exchanging a nod a smile or friendly wave with each of them. Drive by someone who for whatever reason becomes angry with you and screams an insult in your direction. Which one do you remember when you get home…or a week later? At least that’s the way I’m wound…which makes life in my profession difficult at times AND perhaps explains why you tend to react that way too?

6. Aimee
    Posted June 6, 2007 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

OK, that has to be one of the coolest products out there.
    Being a professional video editor, working at a media production company here in Columbus, OH, it never occurred to me to even look at the video quality (lighting, script, ect that you mention in your post).
    Stuff on the internet is meant for knowledge or enjoyment. Both of which I feel I’ve received from your demo.
    Why can’t everyone take things found on YouTube at face value?