Code Lindbergh

Earlier today we were at the hospital for checkups and vaccinations when someone came over the clinic-wide P.A. system and said, “Code Lindbergh, elevator twelve, Code Lindbergh, elevator twelve.” I was coming back from the bathroom at the time, and just as I was reaching the spot where Steph had chosen to sit and nurse Caleb, a woman in the hallway told me to stop walking around and take a seat. There was no “please” in her voice.

I asked what was going on and she said, “potential infant abduction.” I should’ve known from the code name. And here we were with a fussing infant in our arms, and he was hidden under a nursing cover. Suspicious!

I had a worrisome thought, leaned over to Steph and whispered, “How do we prove he’s ours?”

“We’re not going to start trying to anticipate this stuff, Josh.” She was a little preoccupied anyhow.

It took about five minutes for the all-clear to come through, which apparently made this Code Lindbergh “a pretty long one.” At least nobody asked me for a DNA sample.

1. POP
    Posted September 26, 2007 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Now you know how I felt when Jacob Wetterling was abducted less than a hundred miles from where we lived in Willmar when you were about 10, roughly the same age as Jacob. You grow to love your kids more than one can ever, ever imagine. You’re there.

2. Posted September 27, 2007 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Hooray on getting Caleb vaccinated. First dose of HepB? You would not believe the number of parents I talk to that think coming down with vaccine-preventable diseases will make their kid stronger/healthier. There is a reason polio isn’t around in this country much anymore and it isn’t because of “strong” kids.

3. Posted September 27, 2007 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Code Lindbergh? Not very subtle, is it? Kind of like the time in high school when the administration decided they needed to have a code they give over the announcements so teachers would know it was an emergency but not freak out the students. Their brilliant idea? “Code E”

4. Posted September 27, 2007 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

He doesn’t get his vaccinations until his 6-8 week visit. This one was just a check-up to make sure he’s A-OK. And he is! He was so sweet with the doctor. Mommy so proud!

5. Kristin Whiting
    Posted September 28, 2007 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Code Lindbergh? I understand where they came up with that name. However, in the hospital where I work, we use the term, “Code Pink”. We actually have drills on these Emergency Codes and we have to guard the doors where no one can exit or enter. Questioning does begin, but I wouldn’t take offense to it. In fact, I would welcome it. In one of the drills, they had a Maintenance guy pretend to take a baby and nobody questioned him because he was an Employee of Fairview. So, it could make one think, doesn’t it?

6. Joe
    Posted October 3, 2007 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Nobody asked for a DNA sample, but you gave one anyways, right?

7. Posted October 4, 2007 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

@Joe: Well, I try to be generous.