Bono Was a Poser

OK, broadband or not, you’ve gotta check out this movie (12.5 MB, spotted on U2Star.com). They’re performing “Life On a Distant Planet,” which I’ve never heard. Is this a well-known U2 oldie? I have no idea.

The video is in Windows Media Player format, and it seems you’ll need the latest version to watch it (Mac, Windows), but man it’s worth it.

It’s of a U2 performance from 1979. Hey U2 fans, remember those pictures where Bono is wearing strange checkered pants and trying to be punk? Yeah, it’s from that stage.

I’ve gotta say that although most of the performance looks extremely forced, the little blue-screen effect with the gloves is interesting.

Oh, and Larry hasn’t changed even a smidge, except that now he has a more-dangly earring.

1. Posted February 9, 2004 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Wow. Those pants. They are almost as nice as Toby Mac in a fanny pack. Almost as nice.

2. Posted February 9, 2004 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Why must you hurt me so?

Posted February 9, 2004 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Hey! At least Bono’s fashion was hip at the time! Yeah, you heard me!

Posted February 9, 2004 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

OMG LOL11l1!! this is sooo terrible! It’s like watching the early 80s vids on MTV. *shudders* I guess even great bands can’t always be great.

5. Posted February 9, 2004 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

You know… I run a site for Jr. Highers over at pbccjh.org, and that comment very closely resembled what they write on a daily basis.

Posted February 9, 2004 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Yes! I can write like the people I’m imitating! I must be getting somewhere with those writing skills.

7. Posted February 9, 2004 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I don’t think he was trying to be punk, from what I remember from U2 history class they were considered punk back then. Maybe more so for political reasons than musically, but still.

8. Posted February 15, 2004 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Well, that video came down rather quickly! Oh well, I’ll leave the link there just in case it comes back some day.