Ha… ha?

It’s a little bittersweet, since I’m not the kind of person who really likes to revel in the destruction of competition unless it’s Microsoft. But this article backs up what I’ve been saying all along. Other music stores are gonna have a horribly difficult time keeping up with iTunes.

Posted February 19, 2004 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Well, Napster 2.0 may not have kicked the bucket just yet, though a lot of the semi-positive talk seems a little false given all the cuts and the huge amount of bigwigs bailing out.

It’s not altogether surprising, though. There’s suddenly a gamut of online music providers out there, and I find it unlikely that most people will use more than one. A few of ’em have to go by the wayside.

Apple rather pulled a Sony with this one (as in the game console market). It launched early with a quality product, had a wide base to select from, etc. which enabled it to get to the lead and stay there as of now.

2. Posted February 19, 2004 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Good call Neal. Apple is now understanding the importance of early debut and early adoption. That’s a detail we overlooked at one point. Here’s to hoping that we’ve got it right this time.

3. danielle
    Posted February 19, 2004 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

i enjoy the fact that you say ‘we’ when referring to the apple company.
    hehe:)

4. Posted February 19, 2004 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

And I enjoy the fact that I’ve been tight-lipped enough that you don’t know why I said “we.” 🙂

5. danielle
    Posted February 19, 2004 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

or have you… 😉

6. Benjamin Swanson
    Posted February 20, 2004 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I sorta feel bad that Napster 2.0 isn’t going to be a success. But lets face it, Apple might not be here today if it wasn’t for some college student named Shawn Fanning. iTunes simply wouldn’t have been created if Napster hadn’t been created. It was Napster, after all, that started the online, digital music craze.

No iTunes -> no iPod -> no Apple. Maybe a little bit of a stretch. But Apple does owe a considerable amount to the revolution Napster started.